Beall Center Family Day
Beall Center Family Day
Through Family Day activities, the Beall Center seeks to stir the imagination and motivate young people to delve into the basics of science, technology, and visual literacy – skills that are critical to the next generation’s success in the workplace and in life. Family Day events include hands-on art and science activities, art and technology demonstrations, videos and more. It’s a fun-filled day for the entire family!
Scheduled Activities Include:
October 18, 2014
- Beall Center Exhibition - “Eddo Stern: New Works”, presents five interactive game-based projects, the epitome of art + technology.
- University Art Gallery Exhibition - “Ed Moses: Cross-Section”, a solo exhibition of five decades of paintings by this west coast icon, and UCI School of the Arts original faculty member in Studio Art.
- Optricks-Optobotics - Discover light and its “magical” properties from the Optics
- Institute of SoCal and the UC Irvine Photonics Society. OSSC.org / OISC.net. Presentation at 12pm & 1pm in Winifred Smith Hall
- Paper Rocket Make & Launch - Create & blast-off paper rockets. How high will it fly? Provided by Madly Making Orange, producers of the OC Mini Maker Faire. OCMMF.com
- Mathobotix - Inspiring an appreciation of technology in young people through STEAM-based courses in robotics using Lego Mindstorms/EV3.
- Expressive Robotics - Learn about the Beall Center’s middle and high school summer robotics intensive focused on creative programming and building with a DIY approach.
- Savoy Academy - Participants will use “recipe cards” to experience programming using either Scratch or Python. savoyacademy.com
- ANTXplore - Demonstrations and display of some of the interactions between art, nature, and technology; including fractals, biological-inspired art, and scientific studies. antxplore.com
- Steam Powered Education - Build an old-fashioned, wooden, light projector that Makers can choose whether to incorporate a Halloween theme, or project any image of their choosing. tinyurl.com/SteamPoweredEducation.
- Inspire Charter Schools - Make a scary, or not-so-scary Halloween eyeball and have fun experimenting with the combination of science and magic tricks. Online Independent Study for K-12th grade: inspireschools.org / tinyurl.com/SchoolatHomeSoCal
- Download the Kaleri App - Join a growing vibrant art community, and learn more about Eddo Stern and the current Beall exhibition. www.kaleri.com.
- Design Model Making & Prototyping - Meet individuals from Irvine Valley College Advanced Technology & Education Park (ATEP).
- Plus… Additional presenters and hands-on projects in and around the Arts Plaza.
Beall Center for Art + Technology 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Free Admission. Public is Welcome For more information go to www.beallcenter.uci.edu or call (949) 824-6206
October 18, 2014 - 11:00 am