Beall Center’s Free Family Day On Sat., October 18, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
IRVINE, Calif. (October 14, 2014) -- The Beall Center for Art + Technology at UC Irvine’s Claire Trevor School of the Arts will have its free Family Day on Sat., October 18 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. around the Arts Plaza of the Claire Trevor School of the Arts at UC Irvine. Children and adults of all ages enjoy hands-on art and technology projects and experience an introduction to new media art relating to the Beall Center’s many ongoing exhibitions and initiatives. Scheduled Activities Include:
- Beall Center Exhibition - “Eddo Stern: New Works”, presents five interactive game-based projects, the epitome of art + technology.
- University Art Gallery Exhibition - “Ed Moses: Cross-Section”, a solo exhibition of five decades of paintings by this west coast icon, and UCI School of the Arts original faculty member in Studio Art.
- Optricks-Optobotics - Discover light and its “magical” properties from the Optics
- Institute of SoCal and the UC Irvine Photonics Society. OSSC.org / OISC.net. Presentation at 12pm & 1pm in Winifred Smith Hall
- Paper Rocket Make & Launch - Create & blast-off paper rockets. How high will it fly? Provided by Madly Making Orange, producers of the OC Mini Maker Faire. OCMMF.com
- Mathobotix - Inspiring an appreciation of technology in young people through STEAM-based courses in robotics using Lego Mindstorms/EV3.
- Expressive Robotics - Learn about the Beall Center’s middle and high school summer robotics intensive focused on creative programming and building with a DIY approach.
- Savoy Academy - Participants will use “recipe cards” to experience programming using either Scratch or Python. savoyacademy.com
- ANTXplore - Demonstrations and display of some of the interactions between art, nature, and technology; including fractals, biological-inspired art, and scientific studies. antxplore.com
- Steam Powered Education - Build an old-fashioned, wooden, light projector that Makers can choose whether to incorporate a Halloween theme, or project any image of their choosing. tinyurl.com/SteamPoweredEducation.
- Inspire Charter Schools - Make a scary, or not-so-scary Halloween eyeball and have fun experimenting with the combination of science and magic tricks. Online Independent Study for K-12th grade: inspireschools.org / tinyurl.com/SchoolatHomeSoCal
- Download the Kaleri App - Join a growing vibrant art community, and learn more about Eddo Stern and the current Beall exhibition. www.kaleri.com.
- Design Model Making & Prototyping - Meet individuals from Irvine Valley College Advanced Technology & Education Park (ATEP).
- Plus… Additional presenters and hands-on projects in and around the Arts Plaza.
October 15, 2014