Beall Center’s Free Family Day Saturday, April 18
UC IRVINE’S CLAIRE TREVOR SCHOOL OF THE ARTS PRESENTS BEALL CENTER’S FREE FAMILY DAY ON SAT., APRIL 18, 11 A.M. TO 4 P.M.IRVINE, Calif. (April 7, 2015) - The Beall Center for Art + Technology at UC Irvine’s Claire Trevor School of the Arts will have its free Family Day on Sat., April 18 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. around the Arts Plaza of the Claire Trevor School of the Arts at UC Irvine. Children and adults of all ages enjoy hands-on art and technology projects and experience an introduction to new media art relating to the Beall Center’s many ongoing exhibitions and initiatives. Scheduled Activities Include:
- Beall Center Exhibition “Play: In Three Acts” highlighting three interactive works by Nina Waisman, Joe McKay and David Rokeby.
- Optricks & Optobotics: Discover light and its “magical” properties from the Optics Institute of SoCal and the UC Irvine Photonics Society. OSSC.org / OISC.net. Presentation at 12pm & 1pm in Winifred Smith Hall.
- Paper Rocket Make & Launch: Color, cut-out and build paper rockets then launch them with air powered launcher. Provided by OC Mini Maker Faire.com.
- Savoy Academy: Participants will use “recipe cards” to experience programming using Scratch or Python. savoyacademy.com.
- CTSA Summer Academies: Celebrate UCI and make a UCI origami LED light, while you learn about middle and high school summer programs in Art, Dance, Drama, Music and Robotics. Outreach.arts.uci.edu/summer-academies.
- ANTXplore: Demonstrations and displays on the interactions between art, nature, and technology around ants and science. ANTxplore.com.
- Steam Powered Education: Build a plexiglass kaleidoscopes using assorted materials provided by STEAM.poweredEducation.com.
- Inspire Charter Schools: Families will be supplied with items and guidance to create a bug with glowing LED lights for eyes. Online Independent Study for K-12th grade. inspireschools.org
- Download the Kaleri App: Join a growing vibrant art community, and learn more about exhibitions in and around Orange County. www.kaleri.com.
- Design Model Making & Prototyping: Learn what’s happening at the Irvine Valley
- College Advanced Technology & Education Park (ATEP).
- Plus… More hands-on projects around the Arts Plaza, and food and refreshments available for purchase at the CyberA Café.
April 7, 2015